This article includes:
How to set up referrals;
How your customers find their referral links; and
Important points to note before finalizing set up.
How to Set Up Referrals:
1. Go to your Loyalty & Rewards tab, click on 'Create Workflow' and choose 'Referral Flow'.
2. You can leave the Workflow as is and activate, or customize by clicking the customize button
3. On this page, you will first be presented with the option to edit the discount value. This is the discount provided to the referred party upon their first purchase.
You can choose to create a fixed discount that will be a fixed value regardless of how much the customer spends, or choose the 'percentage of' option, that will give a percentage of the total cart value.
4. Then, you can proceed to the action box. In the pre-made workflow, we've set up a reward for the referrer alone (you can also choose to reward the referred after the purchase as well).
Here you can choose how much you'd like to reward the referrer, and choose between:
a 'fixed' reward;
a 'percentage of' reward (that will be a percentage of the referred's cart value); OR
a 'for every' reward - i.e for every $x spent, the referrer will receive $y in store credit
To add a reward to the referred party after the purchase is made, simply click 'add action' -> 'Issue store credit to the referred'.
Here you can edit the reward that is issued to the referred after the purchase is made (on top of the initial discount they receive when creating the first purchase).
This is a great option if you'd like to create an incentive for the referred customer to return to your store!
5. You can also add conditions to the referral. To do so, erase the action that appears in the pre-made Workflow and then click 'add condition'.
The conditions you can choose from are:
Order total price - will reward customers only if the referred's cart value is above a certain price.
Order subtotal price - will reward the referrer only if the order subtotal price is above a certain value. Note that the subtotal value doesn't include shipping and tax in the calculation, but also doesn't take into account any discounts that were applied (meaning if the referred had a 10% discount for purchasing, the referrer will get the reward as if no discount was applied).
Product IDs - reward customers only if the referred purchases a certain product.
After adding the conditions, you can then add the action back into the Workflow by clicking 'add action'.
6. Once you're done, all you need to do is test the Workflow and save 😊
How your customers find their referral link
Once your customers log in to their account they will have the option to generate their own referral link by clicking on ‘Get Your Link’ inside the widget:
Once generating the link, customers will be able to easily copy the link and share on social platforms or send to friends.
To set this card up, go to the ‘Loyalty Assets’ tab in your Rise dashboard -> Reward Widget -> ‘Customize’.
Locate the Referral section and click the edit icon.
Inside the referral section, you can enable the referral card (making it visible on the reward widget), and you can also customize the text on the card:
Customers can also get a referral link without the widget.
You can send the referral link in all store credit emails your customers receive, by going to your email builder -> add section -> 'Referral link'
This will send the link only if it was already created by you or the customer.
You can also manually create a referral link for customers who haven't yet received emails through Rise in the Customers tab.
1. In order to track the customers that can receive a discount code from the referrals, we created a section in your 'Customers' tab in Shopify called 'Rise.ai- Do Not Delete'. Make sure not to delete this!
2. If you have an automatic discount in your store, this will override the referral discount and will cancel the referral altogether. Meaning, if you'd like to create a store-wide discount, we'd recommend creating it as a separate discount code that doesn't apply automatically and explain to customers that they cannot use both codes at checkout.